GAnalytics

Sunday, October 10, 2010

What are the chances?

Often, when I sew 2 pieces of fabric together, I pin them so that the pins are perpendicular to the sewing line.



When the machine (not the serger!) approaches the pin, I normally do not take the pin out. What are the chances of the tiny point of the needle to not only hit the pin but also to do it so perfectly that the pin or the needle would break? I always assumed that the chances are so small that it's not worth taking the pins out.

See this little demonstration of how it goes:



This was all nice and true until today. So, what happens when the needle and the pin are perfectly aligned is that one or both of them break. In my case, the needle did not give up, but the pin was completely jammed into the machine. It was a pretty scary scene, worth rethinking the chances and the method. The middle of the pin was completely inside while both ends were sticking out. It took me some strength and help of the pliers to remove the pin out. Look at the great shape of the pin now:



So what are the chances? I think by now I've sewn through thousands of needles like this which does keep the chances pretty small. However, they are not infinitely small and I expect same thing to happen in another year or so. And no, I'm not going to give up on the method as it makes my life so much easier most of the times.

EL

No comments:

Post a Comment