GAnalytics

Monday, September 13, 2010

Box Pleats and a new skirt

After completing my first full skirt mentioned here, I decided to try another one but with thicker fabric (the summer is over..) and with box pleats. Box pleats look more symmetrical on the hips and more full to me. So, I got this thick cotton fabric and started working.



Unfortunately, by computer hard drive decided to die, so I had to redo the pattern. Basically, the 2 pieces of "pattern" I made were the belt and the lining, both are A line skirts of different lengths and sizes. In addition, the difference with the previous skirt was that the skirt itself used 3 fabric pieces and not 2. So, it's more full, 130" length on the hem. Other than the lining and the belt, the skirt construction is pretty simple. Cut 3 rectangles from the 44" fabric such that the longer side is 44", then connect them and make the pleats. As before, I used fusible interfacing for the belt, lining and invisible zipper that goes between the skirt and the lining. The final result:





And the zipper view from inside:



Tuan decided to hook me on to watching Mad Men show. I don't mind, the costumes are spectacular there. I especially like the bottoms and I guess the skirt I just made is kind of like that.



Finally, ballroom dress is next in queue.

EL

No comments:

Post a Comment